Our software management and build system e2factory, which is optimized for industrial requirements, supports the entire product lifecycle management of the embedded software components contained in our customers' products, especially, but not only, at board support packages level.
e2factory is subject to the GPLv3 and is available freely as a development tool.
The decisive characteristics and functions for industrial use are primarily the following:
- e2factory is easy to use: low complexity and focused functionality
- e2factory makes reliable build automation management and auditable software change management possible
- Reproducibility of all appropriately created software versions through checksum controls of all the initial parameters of every build process (sources, build scripts, configuration, build environment)
- Multi-user capability through client/server architecture
- Transparent compilation board support packages with low complexity
- Process security with independence from particular build computers and individuals
- Software management on the target software and cross-compilation
- Supports community-near work (mainline compliance)
- In the context of projects the sources are obtained directly upstream (no distribution log-in)
- Packages, drivers, libraries, patches... from other sources (like Yocto) can be integrated
- Integrated version management; unlimited versions can be managed in a project, traceability of changes
- e2factory allows secure, distributed work across different locations (e2factory workbench)
- Efficient and reliable lifecycle management throughout the product lifecycle and diverse software versions as well as different product variants if necessary
- Targeted quality-ensured compilation of BSPs without unwanted patches, version conflicts etc.: no distribution lock-in
e2factory is an emlix brand and is continually maintained and further developed under emlix's responsibility. Here, there are clear paradigms in the areas of reliability, backwards compatibility and the ability to validate with central reviewing. e2factory updates are carefully planned, thoroughly tested (comprehensive test suite) and matched to every individual customer.
Alternatively, Yocto, PTXdist, Buildroot and other distributions can be used.
The emlix Test Application Framework (TAF) is a reliable quality assurance tool for embedded Linux board support packages , which meets the requirements of numerous projects. It perfectly suits to the dynamic of agile development and subsequent component optimization. It allows quality assurance parallel to development and production processes based on continuous system, module and integration tests with high test coverage. Developer tests are ideally supplemented. The documentation of the results is carried out automatically and reproducible.
The TAF consists of:
- Framework for automatic execution of tests on the target hardware
- Currently approx. 300 automated and mainly hardware-related tests
- Tooling for the reproducible creation of test reports
The emlix Test Application Framework (TAF) offers:
- Flexible, product specific test setup
- Integration of additional, product-specific tests
- Standardized, automated testing
- Clear versioning of each test run
- Various possibilities to control test procedure and order of tests
- Comparative tests of different hardware revisions
- Test runs on the target or on a host against the target
- Reproducible archiving of test and test runs (traceability) in database
- Reproducible generation of test reports