The existing industrial control systems infrastructure has provided a stable, secure, and reliable platform for the past 20 years. But in many areas these legacy systems are reaching end of life, and ongoing maintenance and updates are becoming complicated and cost prohibitive. In addition, legacy equipment was not built to effectively access the data within these systems, which severely limits the usefulness of this data. With Wind River® Titanium Control, Wind River has built on its experience in real-time operating systems to build from the ground up an on-premise cloud infrastructure for critical services and applications that can improve agility and reduce operating and deployment costs. Our approach is to apply successful IT technologies such as commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware and the mass virtualization and cloud deployment of applications. Technologies such as OpenStack and Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) have emerged as de facto standards for cloud and virtualization. By combining these technologies with data plane acceleration and virtual machine (VM) management services, we are defining a new class of on-premise cloud infrastructure capability for the industrial automation market.
Titanium Control is the industry’s most reliable and highest-performing on-premise virtualization platform. Titanium Control is supported by the Wind River Titanium Cloud™ Ecosystem, ensuring a complete end-to-end set of solutions, including validated COTS platforms from leading hardware vendors and pre-validated virtual network applications.. Wind River also provides all the support and professional services you need to develop and deliver complete solutions for network virtualization.
• Leverage on-premise cloud capability that can reside alongside legacy critical infrastructure, allowing for an evolution of legacy services and a platform for new services.
• Accelerate your time-to-market by up to 18 months, removing the need to integrate, test, and document multiple technology components from different vendors and open source.
• Focus your development activities on revenue-generating applications.
• Reduce operating expenses by maximizing the performance and capacity of your virtualization platform.
• Lower your footprint and capital expenses for on-premise applications, while maintaining high reliability and performance.
• Choose between running existing applications and management systems unchanged, or optimizing for high performance and reliability.
• Maximize operational efficiency by giving your teams complete visibility into the network, with control where they need it and automation where they don’t.
• Ensure compatibility and future-proofing with open APIs based on open source and de facto open standards.
De Facto Standard Open Source Software for Cloud and Virtualization
• Linux: Enterprise-focused Linux, plus 700+ patches, provides the reliability, security, availability, and performance needed for industrial automation.
• Real-time KVM: Based on years of embedded experience with KVM, Titanium Control adds kernel and user space optimizations to the KVM hypervisor to deliver consistent and deterministic, predictable performance.
• OpenStack: OpenStack is the industry’s leading open source cloud platform—but OpenStack is designed for IT-grade clouds. Titanium Control adds the reliability and availability extensions required to use OpenStack-based orchestration. This includes VM migration in hundreds of milliseconds rather than minutes, faster VM failure detection, automatic recovery of failed VMs, VM resource management, and faster host and controller node failover.
• Ceph: Ceph provides a highly scalable, highly available, highly performing distributed storage solution.