The Safe and Secure RTOS for the Internet of Things
Powering billions of intelligent devices, VxWorks® is the world’s most widely deployed real time operating system (RTOS). It delivers unrivaled deterministic performance and sets the standard for a scalable, future-proof, safe, and secure operating environment for connected devices in the Internet of Things (IoT). Leading global innovators such as ABB, Airbus, Nokia, BD Biosciences, Boeing, Delphi, Airbus Helicopters, Huawei, Mitsubishi, NASA, Northrop Grumman, Siemens, and Varian leverage VxWorks to create award-winning, innovative, IoT-ready products effectively and efficiently.
The VxWorks product family supports the broadest spectrum of 32-bit, 64-bit, and multicore processors, including ARM®, Intel®, and Power Architecture®. Its portfolio of additional middleware and optional advanced technology components, as well as a large ecosystem of validated complementary third-party hardware and software solutions, enables you to differentiate your platforms with best-of-breed capabilities, reduce development costs, and accelerate time-to-market.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Expandable and upgradable architecture: A modular, future-proof platform, VxWorks can adapt and evolve to match changing market requirements, your needs, and technology advancements. The VxWorks core kernel is separate from protocols, applications, and other packages, enabling upgrades and new feature additions to be accomplished faster and with minimal retesting of the entire system.
• Scalable footprint: VxWorks is the ubiquitous RTOS foundation spanning tiny implantable medical devices, large intelligent systems forming the smart grid, and everything in between. It is scalable to meet your project’s unique memory footprint, functionality, and processing power requirements.
• Broad connectivity: Connectivity is a key requirement for IoT, so VxWorks supports industry-leading connectivity standards and networking protocols out-of-the-box. Additional networking protocols in VxWorks Plus, such as Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and Quality of Service (QoS), advance VxWorks’ networking capabilities even further. The modular nature of VxWorks allows you to add connectivity and networking capabilities after the fact and bring many previously disconnected devices online without reworking the core of your embedded software..
• Uncompromising security and safety: For over 30 years, VxWorks has been the foundation that enables leading innovators in aerospace and defense, automotive, industrial, and medical industries to create differentiated, certifiable safety- and security-critical systems. The optional add-on Security Profile for VxWorks delivers a comprehensive set of features to efficiently and effectively protect devices, data, and intellectual property. The optional add-on Safety Profile for VxWorks delivers advanced safety partitioning capabilities and an optional IEC 61508 SIL3 certification evidence package that helps drive down costs and time-to-certification.
• ARINC 653–compliant platform: Wind River® VxWorks 653 Platform is fully compliant with ARINC Specification 653 and can also be deployed in programs requiring alignment with the Future Airborne Capabilities Environment (FACE™) Technical Standard. VxWorks 653 3.0 Multi-core Edition adds support for the latest multi-core processors and provides full virtualization support for ARINC 653, VxWorks, Linux, and Windows® on a shared multi-core processor. In addition, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) certification evidence for RTCA DO-178C and EUROCAE ED-12C Design Assurance Level (DAL) A is provided with VxWorks 653, eliminating the risk of creating and certifying an operating system and related tools for each new project