The UL1701 fingerprint enabled USB dongle is an open platform for personal security by taking advantage of the Nuvoton M2301 processor. With the on-chip crypto-accelerator, Cortex-M23 TrustZone and XOM facilities, the product comes with built-in fingerprint matching capability, while leaving most of the chip resource to application developers. Optional features may include encrypted data management, JavaME, Real-time OS, COS, and so on. Typical applications of UL1701 are secured USB data storage, personal identification token (such as FIDO key), cryptocurrency wallets, or installable/expandable services with personal security.
A new development and business model
As we know, a full scale embedded development involves hardware and software development and integration, for which the embedded software IP licensing can be costly and time-consuming. Our UL1701 product line provides an alternative to the product developers, who can purchase modules with software IP already installed in the secured memory. Using the APIs provided with the development kit, the product developer can focus on the application feature, probably taking advantage of our open-source sample code.
The new marketing strategy can be of advantage to software IP provider as well as product developers, for the XOM code protection and secured licensing scheme provides a way to safely distribute and track the embedded software IP. Moreover, product support and maintenance cost can be reduced by standardization effort in the long run.
Advantages of the new model
For Software IP vendors:
- Safe, trackable code distribution
- Expanded business opportunity and customer base
- Simplified customer support via standardization
For Product developers
- One-stop shopping experience
- Saving NRE fees
- Lower coding/testing cost
- Shorter time-to-market
Innovations in UL1701
- World’s first fingerprint application using Cortex-M23
- Providing a flexible, multifunction, installable/expandable security service on a portable device.
- Using XOM to protect software IP, providing an open platform and new business model for both product developer and IP provider.