The FC1701 fingerprint module is an open platform for personal security by taking advantage of the Nuvoton M2301 processor. With the on-chip crypto-accelerator, Cortex-M23 TrustZone and XOM facilities, the product comes with built-in fingerprint matching capability, while leaving most of the chip resource to application developers. Optional features may include encrypted data management, JavaCard, Real-time OS, COS, and so on. Typical applications of FC1701 are lock device, safety box, control button, and so on.
A new development and business model
As we know, a full scale embedded development involves hardware and software development and integration, for which the embedded software IP licensing can be costly and time-consuming. Our FC1701 product line provides an alternative to the product developers, who can purchase modules with software IP already installed in the secured memory. Using the APIs provided with the development kit, the product developer can focus on the application feature, probably taking advantage of our open-source sample code.
The new marketing strategy can be of advantage to software IP provider as well as product developers, for the XOM code protection and secured licensing scheme provides a way to distribute and track the embedded software IP safely. Moreover, product support and maintenance cost can be reduced by standardization effort in the long run.
Advantages of the new model
For Software IP vendor
- Safe, trackable code distribution
- Expanded business opportunity and customer base
- Simplified customer support via standardization
For product developers
- One-stop shopping experience
- Saving NRE fees
- Lower coding/testing cost
- Shorter time-to-market
Zero programming effort - For simple applications, FC1701 is shipped with a standard general purpose user program which can be configured by a UI program running on a host computer.
Arduino-style evaluation board - A demonstration or evaluation board is provided to simplify handling during development. The board can also be used as a fingerprint subsystem in an Arduino project.
Customization of bezel and color - A Flexible production system allows the FC1701 shipped with custom designed bezel and color pattern of the fingerprint sensing area.
Innovations in FC1701
- World’s first fingerprint application using Cortex-M23
- Using XOM to protect software IP, providing an open platform and new business model for both product developer and IP provider
- Highly customization capabilities through Innovative packaging technology
- Configurable control function through friendly UI without programming effort