NEMA®|dc is a powerful display controller which contains several smart tools and functions to compose multiple graphics and video layers by improving image quality and help to reduce the SoC power consumption.
NEMA®|dc supports composition features, a wide range of display interfaces and advanced proprietary frame-buffer compression technology. The core is designed to lift the workload off the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) or the host processor (CPU), in GPU-less systems, and minimize the memory bandwidth.
Multiple layers scan be scaled, clipped, positioned and composed on the final display by overlaying video, subtitles, graphics, cursors or application windows, with or without transparency.
NEMA®|dc is flexible and configurable while compile-time allowing engineers to select the number of layers, functionality of composition modules and processing methods tailored for their requirements.
HW Features List
- Programmable display resolutions up to 32Kx32K, including:
- VGA, XGA, HD, Full-HD, Quad Full-HD, 4K, 8K
- Compressed framebuffer support
- Adaptive Sync
- Adaptive Brightness
- Multiple input graphics or video layers
- Powerful composition
- Alpha blending
- Programmable size, offset and format per layer
- Programmable stride/pitch enabling panning and clipping
- RGB to YUV(YCbCr) conversion
- Per layer palette
- Global or per layer Gamma correction
- Dithering for better results on 18-bit displays
- Fixed or programmable cursors
- Programmable event interrupt request (IRQ)
- MIPI DP
- MIPI DBI-B
- OpenLDI, BT.656
- Parallel RGB and YUV
- 3- and 4- beat serial
- Two-Phase 12-bit
- Programmable HSYNC, VSYNC, DE, pixel clock polarity
- 3-4 Wire SPI
- Serial/ Parallel JDI display
- Scanline based
- Tile based (MIPI)
- Layer Overlay
- Number of layers
- Scaler per layer
- Screen formatting(output encoding)
- Master Interface
- AMBA AHB 32bit
- AMBA AXI4 32/ 64bit
- Slave Interface
- AMBA AHB
- AMBA AXI4-Lite
NEMA®|dc supports multiple OS such as Linux and Android. Driver for Android HWC (HardWare Composer) allows NEMA®|dc to accelerate the hardware abstraction-level transparently to the software.
A bare metal library of primitive graphics functions which is available in pure ANSI C with no dependencies, allows easy portability to systems running RTOS or even to OS-less systems enabling NEMA®|dc composition features.
The software package comes together with
- NEMA®|dc bit accurate emulator
- NEMA®|PIX-Presso, a utility software for converting images to/from formats suitable for low power embedded devices
- OS support
- No OS (Baremetal)
- Graphics API support
- Bare-Metal Library in portable ANSI C
- Android Hardware Composer (HWC)
- Software Emulators and suites
- NEMA®|dc bit accurate emulator
Configuration/ Integration/ Verification
NEMA®|dc can be customized at design-time choosing from a number of parameters that enable or disable several features of the design. This is done using NEMA®|dc GUI Configurator, a Graphical User Interface Configurator Tool.
The NEMA®|dc is available in Verilog and easy to integrate and verify. NEMA®|dc ASIC reference designs have been evaluated in various process technologies.
NEMA®|dc is designed with AMBA interfaces.
The core has been verified through extensive simulation and rigorous code coverage measurements. Correct system integration of the IP can be verified using screen display signatures (crc-like checksum output) on simulation or actual hardware.