M2M IoT applications present new technology challenges, and in many cases, standard components designed for consumer devices are not ideally suited to the job. To meet the need for an M2M optimized SIM card that is ruggedized for long life in extreme conditions, Gemalto developed a specialized platform called the Machine Identification Module - MIM™ that has quickly become the preferred solution for enabling secure cellular connections.
Building upon Gemalto's proven SIM technology, MIMs secure the identity of machines communicating on cellular networks and provide security authentication and ciphering information among other features. MIMs are optimized to:
- Survive extremes of vibration, temperature, and humidity common to M2M applications
- Endure a long life span (ex: 10+ years)
- Occupy a small footprint (miniaturization)
- Withstand and integrate into industrial manufacturing processes
MIMs ensure that mobile operators can claim and retain a significant stake in the M2M market while providing new opportunities for OEMs, service providers and customers. The unique platform is available in several form factors and is enabling successful global M2M deployments for a wide array of industries including automotive, metering, remote management, industrial data collection, healthcare and many more.
All modules are Java Card 2.2.1, Global Platform, GSM standard compliant.
MIM Key Features :
- Field-proven solution
- Designed for industrial applications
- Built for an extended life span thanks to the Extended Life Mechanism
- Highly secure
- Java™ Card OS
- Advanced EEPROM endurance
- Operator Benefits
- Simplified SIM logistics and reduced costs
- Helps mobile operators claim and retain a significant stake in this new market
- Warranty extension according to customer specifications
Benefits for M2M Value Chain
- Easy to integrate
- M2M industrial qualification (JEDEC)
- Avoid SIM manual manipulation (FullM2M)
- Optimizes logistics