Its main advantages are:
- 50MHz clock out at RMII applications which can save BOM cost and design efforts at the system designer.
- cost effective 0,162µ process
As we know, the trend of CPU/processor is toward small package and low pin count in which RMII interface will be applied. Besides 48-pin LQFP in DM9162 package, 32-pin QFN or 24-pin QFN (RMII only) has been in plan in package. DM9162 in LQFP-48 package is backward compatible to DM9161A and DM9161C.
It contains the entire physical layer functions of 100BASE-TX as defined by IEEE802.3u:
- Pysical Coding Sublayer (PCS)
- Physical Medium Attachement (PMA)
- Twisted Pair Physical Medium Dependent Sublayer (TP-PMD)
- 10Base-TX Encoder/Decoder (ENC/DEC)
- Twisted Pair Media Access Unit (TPMAU)
Furthermore, due to the built-in wave shaping filter, the DM9161B needs no external filter to transport signals to the media in 100BASE-TX or 10BASE-T Ethernet operation.