This new USB Full Speed (12Mbit/s) host IC is specifically targetted at providing Android platforms such as tablet PCs or smartphones with interconnectivity to end product systems using USB technology.
Leading brand Google unveiled the initative which uses industry standard USB technology with an additional enumeration step. As a result, the USB connection allows the Android platform to function as a USB slave or peripheral. This eliminates the need to source power, store class drivers, and support the USB host stack, which has responsibility for controlling the USB bus. In the end, the USB host functions are now relegated to the end product which is connecting to the Android platform.
Key Hardware Features include:
- USB 2.0 Full Speed Host
- Hardware selectable interfaces - GPIO, UART, PWM, I²C Master, SPI Slave or SPI Master
- USB ERROR indicator pin
- Single power supply operation at 3.3V
- Internal 1.8V LDO regulator
- Internal memory for storing configurable strings - allows Andrdoid to automatically detect the device and application to use
- Extended operating temperature range: -40°C to 85°C
- Available in Pb-Free QFN-32 and LQFP-32 packages (RoHS compliant).
Visit us at Embedded World 2014, Stand 4A-328 or visit the FTDI Chip website, www.ftdichip.com for more information.