The MAX14870/MAX14872 motor drivers provide a small, low-power and simple solution for driving and controlling brushed DC motors and relays with voltages between 4.5V and 36V. Very low driver on-resistance reduces power dissipation.
These drivers feature a charge-pump-less design for reduced external components and low supply current. Integrated fast-decay current regulation allows user-adjustable peak startup motor currents and requires minimal external components.
A separate voltage-sense input (SNS) reduces current sensing errors due to parasitic trace resistance.
The MAX14870/MAX14872 features shoot-through protection and internal free-wheeling diodes that absorb inductive motor currents. Driver outputs are short-circuit-protected from shorts to ground, to the supply, and between M1 and M2. An active-low FAULT output signals thermal overload and overcurrents during fault conditions.
The MAX14870 has PWM and direction-control inputs, while the MAX14872 has forward and reverse inputs for direction control. See the Function Tables in the data sheet.
The MAX14870 and MAX14872 are available in a 12-pin (3mm x 3mm) TDFN-EP package and operate over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
MAX14870, MAX14872: Typical Operating Circuit MAX14870, MAX14872: Typical Operating Circuit Enlarge+
- Small Package Handles High Power and Reduces Footprint Circuit Size
- Up to 2.5A Peak Motor Current
- Space-Saving TDFN-EP (3mm x 3mm) Package
- Flexible 4.5V–36V Supply Enables Longer Runtime on Batteries
- Low Power Consumption Runs Cooler and Longer
- 280mΩ (typ) Total Bridge On-Resistance
- 1mA (typ) Supply Current at 30kHz/24V
- 10µA (max) Standby Current at 12V
- Simplified Designs Reduces Time to Market
- Charge-Pump-Less Architecture
- Current Regulation Only Requires a Sense Resistor
- Current-Sense Input Simplifies PCB Layout
- Integrated Protection Provides Robust Driving Solution
- Short-Circuit-Protected Drivers
- Thermal-Shutdown Undervoltage Lockout
- Diagnostic Active-Low FAULT Output
- -40°C to +85°C Temperature Range