ThreadX is Express Logic's advanced Real-Time Operating System (RTOS) designed specifically for deeply embedded applications. ThreadX has many advanced features, including its picokernel™ architecture, preemption-threshold,™ event-chaining,™ and a rich set of system services. Combined with its superior ease-of-use, ThreadX is the ideal choice for the most demanding of embedded applications.
ThreadX is implemented as a C library. Only the features used by the application are brought into the final image. The minimal footprint of ThreadX is under 2KB on Microcontrollers.
ThreadX helps your application respond to external events faster than ever before. ThreadX is also deterministic. A high priority thread starts responding to an external event on the order of the time it takes to perform a highly optimized ThreadX context switch.
ThreadX is Fast!
- Boot Time: 300 cycles
- Context Switch Time: 20 cycles
- Semaphore Get: 30 cycles
- Minimal RAM requirement: 500 bytes
- Minimal ROM requirement: 2K bytes
- timing based on ThreadX V5.1, configured for maximum performance and minimal size.
ThreadX is Small!
- Minimal Kernel Size: Under 2K bytes
- Queue Services: 900 bytes
- Semaphore Services: 450 bytes
- Mutex Services: 1200 bytes
- Block Memory Services: 550 bytes
- Measurements based on ThreadX V5.1, configured for minimal size
ThreadX requires as little as 300 cycles to initialize and start scheduling application threads. This is hugely important for consumer and medical devices that simply can't afford a long boot time.
Easy To Use
ThreadX is very easy to use. The ThreadX API is both intuitive and highly functional. In addition, the API names are made of real words and not the “alphabet soup” names that are common to other RTOS products. Building a ThreadX application is also easy. Simply include the TX_API.H file in the application software and link the application objects with the ThreadX library. The resulting image is ready for execution – it’s that simple!
ThreadX also boasts the very best documentation. Please review our ThreadX User Guide and see for yourself!
ThreadX is delivered with complete C and assembly source code so you can see exactly how ThreadX operates. If you are used to in-house kernels or had bad experiences with “black box” commercial RTOS products, this should be most comforting.
Complete Multitasking Facilities
ThreadX provides a complete set of multitasking facilities, including:
- Application Timers
- Message Queues
- Counting Semaphores
- Event Flags
- Block Memory Pools
- Byte Memory Pools
The following are highlights of the advanced technology in ThreadX:
- Small, fast picokernel™ architecture
- Automatic scaling (small footprint)
- Deterministic processing
- Fast real-time performance
- Preemptive and cooperative scheduling
- Flexible thread priority support (32 - 1024 priority levels)
- Dynamic system object creation
- Unlimited number of system objects
- Optimized interrupt handling
- Priority inheritance
- Fast software timers
- Flexible memory utilization
- Run-time performance metrics
- Run-time stack analysis
- Built-in system trace
- Vast processor support
- Vast development tool support
- Completely endian neutral