uLoad Product Family
Portable ANSI C software update installer and secure boot loader.
Installing software updates by web, serial port or removable flash drive? Images can now be securely distributed and managed. Encrypted files are protected in case the file or removable media is lost, stolen or hacked. The uLoad Product Family includes advanced software updates and boot loader solutions for embedded platforms. uLoad can be used for safe install, to manage multiple images for an update, activation and safe-boot to last-known-good or factory version, and to integrate a boot loader with optional security features.
Free or low cost boot loaders and flash utilities, such as USB DFU flash burners, have limited functionality and do not implement multiple image management. The uLoad SDK delivers advanced features including multiple image management, robust image hash integrity checks, and system error recovery features. Images can be installed from network, serial, and local USB or SD flash drives. uLoad includes a command line toolkit or Windows GUI for image management, processing and encryption, and firmware push to the target.
The uLoad SDK is available in the following configurations for the best match to specific project requirements:
- The uLoad-IDE Install Defender Edition controls software updates and distribution, authenticates genuine origin, and blocks malware installs in SCADA, POS terminals, industrial controllers, and anytime software updates are used. Secure images can be transferred by email, file copy, local USB, SD flash drives, serial port, LAN/WAN network.
- The uLoad-DFE Device Firmware Edition supports factory and clear text images with zero encryption and no passphrase. It is targeted to embedded systems that require multiple images and rollback features in a robust solution. The image model is the same as the uLoad Secure Edition, only without encryption features.
- The uLoad-SE Secure Edition adds a security model to control software updates using encrypted images with a security header, passphrase, and multi-level keys. Images can be decrypted during the installation, or during the boot loading stage, to provide maximum defense against reverse engineering, cloning and un-authorized use.
uLoad-SE can be used to encrypt the software update image distributed on USB flash drive. When the field engineer or end user starts a software upgrade, the encryption pass phrase is interactively or programmatically entered to decrypt the image. This authenticates the image to insure it is genuine, and can be used to distribute optional features with different software SKUs and pass phrases.
- Process software image with toolkit supported on command line, Windows GUI and MacOSXMCU and FPGA image file hash signing and authentication.
- Use standard toolchain to compile and link software images. Supports IAR, Keil, GCC and all other toolchains.
- Secure pass-phrase protected distribution of embedded product keyset.
- Image installation and rollback
- Flexible, easy to use and extensible design can be integrated with product startup and initialization
- Optional support for trust chip DS28E01 hardware based challenge-response authentication for PCB board level verification
- Enhanced product integrity
- Protection against product tampering, reverse engineering and unauthorized use.
- Unlock optional user features